Thursday, January 15, 2009

Songs YOU Should Know

This blog is sharing songs that you should know (or some of my favorites...haha). Some songs are classics and some are my favorites. And if you don't know these songs there are two scenarios; 1.] You don't know good music, or 2.] You need to broaden your musical tastes...like for sure. So, here's the list.



1.] "Killing Me Softly With His Song" by the Fugees
This song is a cover of Roberta Flack, but it's a dayum good cover. This is a case were a band/group/singer does not mess up a perfectly good song. By the way...Lauryn Hill is amazing.

This song was composed by Leonard Cohen(?) and recently redone by a guy named Rufus...(I forget his last name. Starts with a 'W.'). Anyways, the Jeff Buckley (RIP) version is kind of amazing. I need a new word instead of 'amazing.'

Thin Lizzy is a band you might not be that familiar with. They're a an Irish hard rock band formed in Dublin in 1969 (The year is according to Wikipedia. Sooo...). This song is catch-aaay.

This band you've probably heard of and if not...I don't know. Green Day was originally part of the punk rock scene in the '90s. Their most recent album was the rock opera American Idiot.

Dude, this song is amazing and a marching band should totally play this. TUBAS+TBONES+BARITONES=BASS. Love this song.

Supposedly its about Sam's (the singer) youth, and when he was a kid he didn't take relationships seriously, until he met this girl, who he lost. Then he found her, but he doesn't know if she's the same "flightless bird", grounded and bleeding, that he knew or if she's changed into this "american mouth", big pill, stuck going down.

I remember when this song came out...in 2003? About-ish. I love it. It brings back glam rock. 70s and such. Good times...even though I wasn't really alive then, but OH WELL! Still like it.

This song is intense.



9.] "Check The Rhime" by A Tribe Called Quest
I love this song. The beat is insane because the way they use a jazz feel.

The song is powerful. Hopefully, P!nk won't have to sing this song anymore. ;]

1 comment:

  1. Some of the songs i'm sort-of unfamiliar with, but the majority of them I know and love :]

    Someone's got good taste!

    I'm so excited for tonight. I bought green pants yesterday at the mall, and ran into Andrew, his brother and sister, and Donovan's friend, also, Andrew.

    I had a heart attack and half-dragged my grandma to the other side of the mall after an awkward three-word conversation. He was watching me leave, and it was weird because all I could see was his head over one of the sales racks, and I wanted to scream. I was shaking for like half an hour, and kept glancing over my shoulder. I've never felt so paranoid!

    ReplyDelete