Friday, January 2, 2009

Gym Class Heroes: The Quilt


Howdy-ho, junior rangers!

This is my review of the Gym Class Heroes album, The Quilt.

1] "Guilty As Charged" [ft. Estelle]
This song has a massive big band sound. And I personally love that sound. Especially when you mix it in with the flow of Travis. Estelle is great; she's wasn't making me go Wow. That was amazing. But all in all, I thought it was a really catchy tune.
2] "Drnk Txt Rmeo" [ft. Patty Crash]
This song's got a little reggae feel. My favorite part of this song is actually Patty Crash. I don't even know who that is. If you do, please enlighten me, I would love to know.
3] "Peace Sign/Index Down" [ft. Busta Rhymes]
Okay, I love the beat. To prove my patheticness to everyone, it took a really long time to understand "Put up your peace sign, put your index down"...I'm not sure why I thought it was more complicated than that. I should of tried putting up the peace sign and then putting my index finger down. Once I actually listened to the lyrics I was like Ohhhh! Anyway...I don't think they really could of pulled this song off without Busta. He made the song what it is in my opinion.
4] "Like Father, Like Son [Papa's Song]"
This song is intense. I can really relate to this song, so I think that's why I really love it I think. It talks about Travis' relationship with his father...obviously.
5] "Blinded the Sun"
Another kind of reggae feel to it. Has some horns in the background. If you're not into reggae, I don't care. Listen to anyway. I believe I hear a little bit of Patrick Stump from Fall Out Boy in it as well.
6] "Catch Me If You Can"
I think this song is incredibly catchy and I love the lyrics.
e.g. "Lets talk about the scene for a minute, I know we ain't been seen in a minute,
We left it for a minute now we all up in it
Baby boy if you've got them big dreams go and get it,
Never been the type with tight jeans, I wont fit it
When I see those scene girls, bet they all gonna get it..."
7] "Cookie Jar" [ft. The Dream]
This song is funny. At least I think it is. My favorite lines are...
"I gotta thing for Milano, Biscotti, Italiano
And I never turn down some Oreo's if you got those
Butter Pecan, Puerto Ricans, or them Oatmeal Raisin Asians,
Hazelnut Brazilians, Macedamia Caucasians..."
I thought it was clever...but I'm me.
8] "Live A Little"
This song is catchy and I like the little guitar thing happening in the middle/end. "Live A Little" reminds me of Ben Fold's Five. At first it didn't sound like the Gym Class Heroes to me.
9] "Don't Tell Me It's Over" [ft. Dre]
Okay...I love this song. I don't even know how to describe it. It's just...good. Wow this should be my job because I'm dayuuum good at describing things [Hint: Sarcasim].
10] "Live Forever [Fly With Me]" [ft. Daryl Hall]
Oh Daryl Hall...! This song is purely epic. LOVE it! It may be depressing, but the lyrics are insane. And I believe I heard this song was about Travis' cousin[?] commiting suicide. =[ That's what I heard, and I teared up a little when I first heard it because I happen to be a wimp.
11] "Kissin' Ears" [ft. The Dream]
The chorus is sick, in my opinion. Other than that...it's all right.
12] "Home"
The best part of this song is the lyrics...Other than that...Well...Yeah...
13] "No Place To Run"
Travis does his little singing thing agian. It's an okay song. Reminds me of Ben Folds Five again.
14] "Coming Clean"
The begining reminds me of something...The "Hey, hey..." thing. But what does it remind me of? Hmmmm...? This song is not there best.

I really enjoyed listening to this album. I doubt that means anything to you. I would buy it if I were you or iTunes or whatever you do/use. But, of course, Youtube some songs to make sure you like it because my opinion could be different from yours. "Word to your mother." -Vanilla Ice
My Grade: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment